The fair trade movement was founded over 65 years ago in the United States to help workers in developing countries. Since then, it has spread globally, and probably has its strongest following in Europe where fair trade products are common. The goal is to:
- Pay artisans a fair wage in the local context.
- Provide health care and educational opportunities.
- Ensure that working conditions are safe and healthy.
- Eliminate forced overtime without pay.
- Prohibit the exploitation of child labor.
- Not allow discrimination or sexual exploitation.
- Involve employees in decision-making processes.
- Use sustainable environmental practices.
Revy provides each coop with:
- A fair price with cash advances and prompt payments
- Collaboration on designs and production methods
- Transparency by sharing costs and pricing
- Long term relationships with job security